Teaching Reading Strategies Audio Resources
The 13 classroom-tested diagnostic reading assessments provided in the Teaching Reading Strategies program are administered in the first two weeks of instruction and assess all reading skills—each in multiple choice format. That’s right. No individual time-consuming testing—use Scantrons® or Grade Cam® if you wish. Plus, 8 of the 13 tests include convenient audio files for easy test administration. Each of the 13 assessments is comprehensive and prescriptive. Unlike most reading assessments, none of the assessments (other than the phonemic awareness tests) is based on random sample. Everything you need to teach (or not teach) is assessed.
The 13 program assessments include…
Syllable Awareness, Syllable Rhyming, Phonemic Isolation, Phonemic Blending, Phonemic Segmenting, Alphabetic Upper and Lower Case Letter Match and Alphabetic Sequencing, Vowel Sounds Phonics Assessment, Consonant Sounds Phonics Assessment, Outlaw Words Assessment,Rimes Assessment, Sight Syllables Assessment, Diagnostic Spelling Assessment, and an Individual Fluency Assessment
All assessment data is recorded on one comprehensive reading recording matrix for easy data entry, minimal paperwork, and simple progress monitoring.
DIAGNOSTIC READING AND SPELLING ASSESSMENTS AUDIO FILES
Syllable Awareness Assessment (5:48)
Syllable Rhyming Assessment (5:38)
Phonemic Isolation Assessment (5:54)
Phonemic Blending Assessment (5:53)
Phonemic Segmenting Assessment (5:21)
Vowel Sounds Phonics Assessment (10:42) *
Consonant Sounds Phonics Assessment (12:07) *
Diagnostic Spelling Assessment (22:38) *
READING RESOURCES AUDIO FILES
Animal Names Chant (05:36)
Animal Names and Sounds Chant (08:22)
Animal Names and Sounds Chant (13:50)
New Alphabet Song (0:58)
* Placement Assessments
Another key instructional component in the Teaching Reading Strategies program is the individual Reading and Spelling Game Card sets (sold separately). These 586 game cards are heavy duty cardstock with writable surfaces to allow students to add rare sound-spellings and additional spelling words. The cards are business card size, so they are ideal for spreading out on small surface areas (such as student desks) to play blending and spelling games. Dozens of fun games are provided to help your students practice automaticity in the alphabet, phonics, sight words, vocabulary word parts, and spelling.
Each game card set includes the following:
- -43 animal sound-spelling vowel, vowel team, and consonant cards
- -45 consonant blend cards
- -60 alphabet cards (including upper and lower case with font variations)
- -90 rimes cards with example words
- -108 sight-spelling “outlaw” word cards
- -60 high frequency Greek and Latin prefix and suffix cards with definitions and example words
- -60 vowel and vowel team spelling cards
- -90 consonant and consonant blend spelling cards
- -30 commonly confused homonyms with context clue sentences
- -60 most-often misspelled challenge word cards
Another key instructional component in the Teaching Reading Strategies program is the 54 take home Sam and Friends Phonics Books (sold separately) .
Sam and Friends Phonics Books. As a perfect complement to the expository SCRIP Comprehension Worksheets, these decodable eight-page books are the perfect narrative reading practice to reinforce what the students learn each week in the Teaching Reading Strategies program. Each illustrated eight-page book helps students practice one focus sound with the most common spellings and two high-utility sight words. The books are illustrated by master cartoonist, David Rickert. The cartoons are designed to be appreciated by older remedial readers. The teenage characters are multi-ethnic and the stories reinforce positive values and character development. Your students (and parents) will love these fun, heart-warming, and comical stories about the adventures of Sam and his friends: Tom, Kit, and Deb. Oh, and also that crazy dog, Pug.
Teachers are provided the digital masters for all 54 eight-page books to print for each of their students.
- Each take home book includes fiveSCRIP comprehension questions (Summary, Connect, Re-think, Interpret, Predict) to promote internal monitoring of text. The comprehension questions are ideal for teacher and/or parent guided reading instruction, readers’ workshop, literacy centers, and literature circles.
- Plus, each take home book includes a 30 second word fluency practice on the focus sound-spellings and sight words with a systematic review of previous sound-spellings and sight words.
- Teachers are licensed to copy and distribute all 54 of these economical take home books for their own students. Each book has eight pages in 5.5 x 8.5 inch booklet form. Books are formatted to be copied back to back on two separate 8.5 x 11 pages for easy copying and collation. Just one fold creates the take home books. No stapling is needed.